Over the last two weeks our team has been sharing some delicious recipes from our Wilderness Safaris camps – meals to re-ignite the memories and tastes of your African safari. We hope that these recipes will transport you to Africa during this time.
For today’s Facebook Live video, please see the ingredients that we will be using below:
Making the dough:
3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 cups (or more) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Pour 3/4 cup warm water into small bowl; stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
2. Brush large bowl lightly with olive oil.
3. Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in processor.
4. Add yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons oil; process until dough forms a sticky ball.
5. Transfer to lightly floured surface.
6. Knead dough until smooth, adding more flour by the tablespoon if dough is very sticky, about 1 minute.
7. Transfer to prepared bowl; turn dough in bowl to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm draught-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
8. Punch down dough.
DO AHEAD – the above can be made one day ahead. Store in an airtight container in a refrigerator.
9. ROLL out dough according to recipe instructions. (Start in centre of dough, working outward towards edges, but not rolling over them.)
Making the Napolitano sauce:
100g onion – finely chopped
25g garlic – finely chopped
1kg whole peeled tomatoes
5g basil – finely chopped
5g thyme – finely chopped
5g oregano- finely chopped
5g parsley – finely chopped
Today’s pizza is…
Smoked chicken, bacon, and mushroom pizza
3 smoked or grilled chicken breasts, diced
250 g bacon – small pieces, fried
1 punnet of sliced mushrooms
750 g grated mozzarella
500 ml Napolitano sauce
Pizza dough Method
• Divide your dough into 8 balls
• Use either your hands or a rolling pin to work the dough into a 12-inch diameter
• Transfer dough onto parchment paper
• Parbake your dough in the oven for about 4 mins
• Let your partially cooked dough rest for about 10 mins
• Add Napolitano sauce using a big spoon
• Top the pizza with grated mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, bacon and chicken cubes
• Bake your pizza in a 250° Celsius oven all the cheese has melted
• Slice your pizza and enjoy!